Saturday, January 28, 2012

Remeber to fly once and awhile

My Dad is really into flight simulators and incorporating all the mods he can lay his hands on into each and every single flight simulator he has. I think this is cool, because it shows that age is no hindrance to learning how to do new things. Why talk about this? Well there is a saying among the people that make these mods and among the people who download them . "Remember to fly once and a while". So as I lay vegetating in my bed this morning thinking about all the crap that has happened in this last week. I realized that 1) I had not managed to paint very much, 2) what I did paint was more haphazard than usual, and 3) that I did not have much to show for my efforts and wondered why I bothered to do all this stuff in the first place. Now this may sound like a lack of continued interest in this hobby (I assure you it is not). I look on it as not having flown enough with what I have done.  Gabbing my camera and the project I have done the most work on, I decided to take a stress free break from reality for a few minutes and these are the results. (please pardon the lack of terrain and a decent floor cover, I spend money on miniatures because I do not have the space for terrain)

Massed French Heavy Cav
The I Corps deploys in the back round while artillery gets set up.

The I Corps deployment.

The French armies battle line.
French 2nd Division on the march.
Austrians on the attack.
Russian and Austrian Cav held in reserve behind the main Austrian attack.
Austrian heavy Cav
Russian Battalions move forward to engage the French right
Russian Inf Attack supported by Russian Dragoons.


There is no real rhyme or reason as to what is going on except that a French army is engaged with a combined Austrian/Russian army.  A few numbers for you. There are 26 infantry regiments, 25 cavalry regiments, and 19 artillery batteries on the field in these pictures. Additionally there are all my commanders on the field and the 8 limbers that I painted recently. That is a total of  about 1248 infantry, 450 cavalry, 24 guns, and 96 gun crews( these numbers do not include skirmishers and commanders). EAT THAT you 6mm haters.

If there has been anything that makes me want to continue painting 6mm it is photos like these. I know that they lack the terrain to make the pictures truly mesmerizing but that comes later. What I see in these few pictures is a vision of the closest we will ever come to seeing a Napoleonic battle again. There are only two other blogs out there that match the scale I have here in these shots. The first is Lord Ashram's House of War. He has an amazing setup for a 10mm line of Napoleonics. I love his photos and am even currently using one as a desktop back round and all his others as a photo slide show screen saver. The other blog is Steve's Paintingshed. He did a truly stunning 6mm Napoleonic project a while ago. The scale of it has inspired me to go as big as possible. The only thing is he does not show post of any new pictures of his 6mm Naps. He does have a bunch of good pictures up though and if you want some more inspiration go check him out.

 Latest Additions
Recenlty I completed the 3rd and 4th Regiments of Lancers. These two units complete the line up for the French I Corps. All that is left is for me to paint the remaining Division commanders and then I Corps will be complete. I think I am going to do the Guard Units I have next and then hit the II Corps and what ever I can of the II and IV Cav Corps.

3rd Reg of Lancers

4th Reg of Lancers


Order plans are changing again. Priority right now is to get the replacement shoulder pad for the Lion and then look at more Russian and Austrian 6mm miniatures. The 28mm Romans and 28mm Napoleonics are not going anywhere anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment