Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Just stop listening to me.

Recently I mentioned that I was looking at trying to figure out why I dropped my 28mm projects (other than money and space consumption being the issue). I have, in the last few days, been spending time looking over all of my old 28mm figures and I think I have it all figured out. For the 6mm range of figures there is no push or drive to increase the detail or quality of the figures as I paint them. I say this because I do not want to strain my eyes and I feel that the point of 6mm miniatures is being able to throw 5000 to 10000( or more) figures on the table and not even bat an eye. There is also that cost benefit as the price per figure for 6mm is very very small. It is also a way to tackle projects that I would never even be able to dream of affording or storing, such as the Eagles of Heresy project( masses of Titans and tanks is not something people can easily handle).

On the other hand, I look at 28mm figures and see the opportunity to add in lots of detail and to improve my painting skill. The Sons of the Emperor project ( still waiting for Kabuki to release the next figure that I am looking for) has kind of been a test bench for improving my painting skills. These results can be seen in the Lord of the Rings diorama that I made for my Dad last year. This has led to a revival of my Roman Legions and has such led to a revival of my 28mm Napoleonics.

Now this is not an all in revival, but it is a revival. I still plan on working quite heavily on the Romans and in the back ground begin the process of updating the paint job on my Napoleonics AND I am going to be redoing the bases for my Napoleonics. Thankfully in that respect I have been basing my miniatures with wood glue and all it takes to remove the figures from their bases is a few minutes of submersion of the base in water. With this new plan in mind I have gone through my 28mm Napoleonics, organized the storage of those figures, assessed what I have painted, what I have waiting to be painted, what I have yet to assemble, and what I need to close up some gaps in Battalions. This has led to some test paint jobs and to some test of the clean up process that will be taking place in the near future.

Big difference in paint job.


I will probably tackle the re-basing and repainting in a Battalion by Battalion process as I do not want to get in over my head. For the basing, I have been wanting to improve my basing technique for a while and I have purchased a lot of supplies to that extent. So look for lots of random stuff in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment