Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Romans? What did they ever do for us?

Anyone reading this right now is probably thinking to themselves "Romans? I thought we were going to see Gundams in the next post". Well that was the plan. And as soon as I feel like taking a bunch of pictures I will oblige and smother the blog in Gundam model kits.




Here is the real question that you should be asking yourself. Why did I start this project back up? As anyone who has been following this blog will note, I at one point shelved a bunch of projects in favor of working on some of my 6mm projects. The answer is as follows. When I first started this project I did not have a good focus on what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do what little I was working on at the time. And now I am pretty sure I have the kinks worked out. The biggest problem was the base sizes for the figures. The standard 40mmx40mm sizes were not working because of the need for extra depth on each base. I tried to use 50mmx50mm bases, but the extra width from those bases made the figures look too spread out. Solution get a different size base and with the help of Likto this can be done.

Second reason for doing this, it is my Dad's fault. Over the break I was able to spend a lot of time talking with my Dad. In these discussions we cover the Earth about eight or nine times. This year we hit on the subject of the Imperial Roman army several times and that started this little revival. When I got back to my apartment and started looking through what projects I could work. I realized that I wanted to be able to paint figures on the scale of detail that I had done for my Dad's Christmas gift. Combine the two and you get a revamped Imperial Roman Army project.



The good news is that I think that I will be able to use all of the figures I have worked on previously. They will just need to be removed from their bases and given a good was to give them the right look.


The other plus side is that I have a pretty good sized chunk of the figures I want to work with. This means that I will not have to sink a lot cash into the project to get started. I plan on making Cohorts sized at 24 figures to a Cohort on 3 bases. That means I am looking at bases sized at 50mmx80mm. I will probably try to make 2 or 3 legions with some other units thrown into the mix.  The bad news is that 95% of these figures are at my parents house.

In the mean time I have bought a few figures to give me something to work on and here are some of the results so far.




This is a Roman general. And as you can see he is heavily based on the movie Gladiator. I probably will not permanently base him on the base you see him on. That is there mostly for the purpose of keeping the figure was toppling over as he is a little top heavy.

That is it for now. expect more in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment